Door Warranty Prep

I met with the door warranty team in mid-June and they asked me to seal up the front of the house and add an awning of some kind over the doors, put in a landing so dirt would not splash up against the doors and then they would come and paint the doors and do the rest of the warranty work. Since then I put in the fiberglass under the door sills and built the flagstone stoop so it was time to seal up the walls around the doors. Of course it has been a very wet summer so no time was really good for outside painting, although Dave did do a bit of painting for other projects between rains. It will be best to get the painting done as the temps moderate and the air is dryer.

I had a colleague once who was also a middle manager, she advised that at the end of every meeting with your team, be sure everyone had a task except yourself. I always thought that it was unfair not to outline your own tasks for your team, but leaving this meeting it seemed I was the only one who left with a task to do. Although the installers were supposed to add this job to their list and get back to me. They made a show of measuring but they are busy on other summer jobs and of course never got back to me. Not sure I really wanted to pay them more anyway. So here I was needing to remove the rest of the old siding, and seal the front of the house where the doors are before the warranty work could be done.

When I complained that the installers were not going to do the job, the Alpen rep at AE Building supplies, Mark Attard, said he would bring me some of the SIGA house wrap and tape to do the sealing myself, which was nice of him. So with the spa job on hold because of the trench, I decided to tackle the front door areas. Plus Mark called me last week to ask where I was for the warranty work and I had to say not ready yet.

I had to remove the rest of the siding above the door in this case. Be sure the areas on the right of the door that are blocked on the inside were insulted, and replace the pieces of polyiso that were damaged or were cut above the door so that there was a gap above.

Removed siding and insulated

Removed siding and insulated

Then I tore out the old polyiso and installed new pieces of foil-faced polyiso around the door.

Installed new foil faced polyiso

Installed new foil faced polyiso

The polyiso was covered with the SIGA house wrap and taped at the perimeters. It is overlapped about
6 inches at the seam. I cut it about a 1/2 inch from the door so that the tape would hold but the whole brick mold was exposed for repainting.

Installed and taped SIGA exterior house wrap

Installed and taped SIGA exterior house wrap

This morning I finished the front door wrap and moved on to the patio doors. The siding is really difficult to take off as most of it has 3″ or 4″ nails in it. It tends to splinter very easily and nothing is salvageable except perhaps for kindling. It took hours to get the siding off and the nails out.

Siding torn off patio doors

Siding torn off patio doors

I was very disappointed to see the install from above the patio doors. These doors were just poorly put in from the beginning. The installer was a temp guy and I just didn’t think he was interested in the job. He put new polyiso up against the sides of the doors but just left it torn off at the top. The inside was sealed with spray foam but the outside was left completely open.

Top edge of patio doors

Top edge of patio doors

I started taking off the old polyiso, naturally scarred from the siding removal, and tomorrow I will cut the new pieces and tape the polyiso on.

I also wrote Mark Attard an email telling him the doors will be ready and maybe they can be painted next week.

This entry was posted in Air Intrusion/Thermal Envelope, Construction, Deconstruction. Bookmark the permalink.