The master bathroom in my son’s house had practically new vinyl plank flooring installed over the old tile. The tile in the mud room was dated and unattractive. I decided to salvage the master bath floor and taking it up was very easy. It was not glued but in a few places double sided tape held down some tiles.
Many of the tabs that held the tiles together broke off when I removed it and carried it downstairs. I laid out the vinyl planks to see how they would look in the room. And I thought they looked better than the old stuff.
I planned to lay it over the existing tile as the owners had upstairs but when I was removing the baseboards the tile was caulked to it and it came up off the floor.
So I removed all of it and hauled it out to the garage. The remaining floor was sticky but level and clean. I decided the glue must have been the pressure sensitive removal type. So I decided to use the same glue.
Home Depot sells Henry 650R removable adhesive. I bought the size they offered and it was much more than I needed. It will cover 300 square ft and I had about 60.
The adhesive is easy to apply. The most difficult part is waiting at least 10 minutes for the rolled on glue to get sticky. I used a narrow foam roller as recommended. There is plenty of time to slide the tiles into place to be sure they are properly aligned. I had all the tile cut to fit so I removed a row at a time leaving two rows open to spread the glue. That worked fine and the tiles went on well.
I did not have a 100 pound roller to seal the tile to the adhesive. So my more than 100 pounds kind of stomped all over the floor to press it into the adhesive. Even my husband helped step on it to set the tile in place.
I have to wait five days to wash the tile. But I cleaned up excess adhesive with a wet rag. The wet adhesive cleans up easily with water but the dried adhesive requires mineral spirits. Then I’ll repaint the room and the baseboards and put them back in place. I’d also like to paint the cabinets white and put in an organization system for shoes, jackets and storage. We purchased a washer/dryer combo unit for this room as a back up laundry system too. The new laundry will be upstairs near the bedrooms.