The basement bathroom was quicker and easier that the second floor family bathroom. The same green Formica covered the sink cabinet and the same crystal faucets and metal sinks with the addition of a large chip in the enamel of one. So the countertop came off and the cabinets were painted light gray.
I also found some used fixtures for this bathroom. But some were new too. The sinks were installed in a new home and immediately replaced. They were very expensive Kohler sinks.
The vanity light was an Amazon Warehouse item and I found out why as it was extremely difficult to install. The screws that held the light together had to be inserted vertically instead of through the front. Between the mirror and the position of the frame there was too little room for the screws. But despite the difficulty I finally got the screws in place.
I also repainted the entire bathroom (Restore recycled paint $10) and removed the inset toilet paper holder which meant fixing the drywall. I replaced the towel holders with dark bronze sets.
And the plumbing fixtures were replaced with dark bronze. First I found Moen faucets at Restore for about $50 each. But I didn’t realize they have rough in valves that are sold separately so I had to order those from Ebay for an additional $92.
The biggest error was that I assumed the Delta rough in valve was outdated and would not accept a new trim kit. I was wrong. But I found out after trying an older style kit and then removing the tile to consider replacing the valve.
I bought a new valve and realized it was the same shape as the old one. So I bought a trim kit. It was much less expensive to purchase the pieces separately. I bought the shower head and hose, the faucet trim, and the tub spout all separately.
Once I realized the new standard trim fit I had to replace the tile
The next tricky replacement was the spout. The old spout connector was jammed on the pipe and I could not remove it. So I had to figure out how to screw on the new spout. I had to try more than one model and I rigged the final connection by cutting the interior nylon shorter but I made it fit.
The kit for the pop up drain and the overflow was inexpensive from Amazon and relatively easy to install. The bronze tub fixtures were about $200.
I also replaced the gold hinges on the storage cabinet over the toilet with bronze auto close hinges on clearance at Ace Hardware for $8. But I could not find a bronze push button dual flush. That was a whole other project.
We had bronze trim ceiling lights in our back hallway but I replaced them with sconces. I saved the fixtures and they were a good match for the remodeled bathroom.
I was able to install them in this bathroom and the mudroom. Much better than the old mushroom glass and gold fixtures-and free!
We would like to change the slippery green porcelain tile that looks like marble but isn’t. For now it’s still there.
The budget was under $500 so far but then came the sad story of the countertop.