There was a balmy break in the December weather. We have been enjoying temperatures in the 50’s and 60’s. So it was perfect for getting back to work on the fireplace boiler.
I decided to use flat straight tile on the sides of the cabinet. I found some in dark brown to match the wood and long enough to prevent seams.
This time I used my hand held wet saw to cut the tile and I seemed to get much less dirty.
I cut and polished a granite mantle from a piece left from the bathroom remodel. That was glued to the metal crosspiece. And I cut the piece of cabinet back for the TV mount. It rests on top of the mantle and I made sure it fit before I took it out to finish putting more cement board protection inside the cabinet.
I figured I would need six rock tiles to cover the fireplace face. But I bought two boxes of tiles so eight of them. Nothing broke irretrievably so I have two tiles left over.
I also cut the side narrow tiles from one piece so I have almost a full long tile left too.
I measured multiple times for the TV mount because the area was narrow and the TV would just fit. Unfortunately the mount ended up about an inch too low so the TV actually sits on the mantle when retracted fully.
When pulled out it dips below the mantle.
The mount is bolted through the back board and that is screwed to two metal studs installed inside the cabinet. In order to see the TV from the love seat along the room’s back wall it has to be extended and tilted away from the back board. But the mount is designed to do that.
I still have to treat the stone with sealer and hook up the boiler piping for the water and the electrical connections. Then next time it snows I can build a test fire.