My grandson likes to call the mud room in their new house, the dirt room. He has a great sense of humor for a three year old.
There was a lot of preparation involved in remodeling the old laundry room into a dirt room. The main laundry was moved to a closet area upstairs. They love having it so convenient to the dirty clothes and linens. No hauling laundry up and down the stairs!
The paint booth was set up initially to paint the old oak cabinets, a bench and hanging rack we bought second hand. They were all panted white. At this point in the remodel there were lots of shelves and only one bench area.
I bought a small hassock to put under the shelves on the left to add to the seating area but it was a bit awkward there.
After the family moved in my daughter-in-law realized there was just not enough bench space to accommodate the whole family. So we bought this white Prepac shoe bench and assembled it. We removed a few of the shelves and will put in more coat hooks.
Since carrying laundry up and down the stairs was supposed to be avoided we found a combo washer and dryer for the mud room. The old dryer’s breaker space in the electrical box was moved to the upstairs dryer so we needed a set that would work entirely on 115 volts. This second hand unit was installed at the end of the room in front of the built in connections where it took up a lot of space.
We decided to move it to the side and cut away the extra counter space.
The drain and water hoses were extended but we wanted a method to partially hide them. There were metal wire shelves that were not used in the greenhouse paint tent. I had screw in plastic wiring clips from a previous project so the metal made a flexible cover over the connections as a backrest for the bench.
The cushion and backrest will be covered in a teal fabric to match some of the baskets. While this project has been ongoing another was taking shape for my granddaughter’s room.