First thing this morning I arrived at the building department to check if the building permit was expired. The online information said it expired on 8/24 so I was worried that the inspection I scheduled on Friday after I finished all the little insulation leftovers would not happen today. I was wrong. That was the original six month date, but every inspection extends that by 180 days and our last one was in early May. Whew.
I also had in mind to to add the new windows and doors and the siding projects to the existing remodel permit. These two items were not in the original project budget and I was worried that there might be an issue about how much we actually put into the house. It is worth it to spend $1000 now to get credit for the whole remodel when it comes time to sell. Plus I think the building department has been so helpful and flexible I thought they deserved more of our hard earned money!
So with that added to the permit, we are now justified in spending all the extra money we had not originally counted on. Yet both items will improve the LEED qualification for the house.
The inspector showed up about mid-morning and I explained the insulation we installed. He said the house even sounded well insulated, sort of dulled the sound of our talking in the rooms. So he passed us but said we needed to get the electrical done before we could cover anything up with drywall. We were trying to design the electrical to eliminate outlets and switches in the outside walls. But I did leave some wires for one outlet because I was having a hard time trying to get them out and decided to leave them to get insulation in that spot. He also told me that they no longer do drywall inspections just electrical, structural, plumbing and final left.
I didn’t take any photos of the last parts of the insulation install, but here is one from earlier work.
And the ceiling has been covered with 1 1/2″ reused polyiso. Unbelievably almost all this load of polyiso has been used on the house and some on the spa.
Here is what it looked like on the kitchen and living room ceiling before we put up the SIGA air barrier.
After the door issues are taken care of and the siding is on where we had to pull it off, I believe the next step is the wall framing. That will be a huge step in the right direction.