The house had an electric stove and over the stove microwave. As dedicated cooks, the young couple wanted a gas stove and a hood to carry away cooking odors and fumes. This was a relatively large project.
The electric stove had a 220 electrical line but no gas and no 115 volt plug for the electronic ignition. First I extended the microwave power to an outlet behind the stove.
We hired a gas installer who had some concerns about there being too many appliances on the gas line but eventually decided a gas stove could be added.
Even though the gas was not far away downstairs, the installer ran into problems with the cold air returns being in the way. He got the line snaked through but it could not go in the wall behind the stove because of the return. So we cut along the bottom of the drywall to get the line out of the way of the stove.
My son found the exact stove he wanted on Craigslist and luckily was here when it was time to go pick it up. It is a high end GE gas stove with double ovens, one is convection, which was what he wanted. It was a little less than half price for a new one.
He was able to sell the microwave and stove on Craigslist too. We brought the stove into the kitchen to work on setting it up.
At first it was difficult to fit the stove into the space. It was set up to be shorter than our cabinets so I used a 1/2 in piece of plywood for it to sit on. Moving the stove onto the plywood and back into the space was difficult. I kept hitting the gas or electrical pipe that fed the undercounter light in the end cabinet. I was finally able to pull back both pipes against the wall enough to get the stove completely back to the wall.
Then I found a simple GE range hood on Craigslist. Again had to negotiate a lower price. The hood seemed in relatively good condition. But I had to give it a good cleaning as it was greasy from its former home. It came with a new screen so I used that and discarded the old one.
The bathroom contractor was asked to put in the new stove vent that goes outside. With the floor open above it was not as difficult as it might be otherwise.
The vent makes the cabinet above rather useless though as the pipe goes through and the shelf had to be removed.
The vent pipe ends up outside between the kitchen and dining room windows.
I installed the hood myself so I had to pile up boxes to rest it on while I attached it to the screws in the upper cabinet. Once installed the new hood made a rattling sound that seems to have gone away over time. I think it was a loose metal baffle and just running it has pushed the baffle into place. I also replaced the light in the hood with an LED type.