The last couple of weeks I’ve been working on the metal soffit. This is the last task finished in 2016. I built another 10 foot piece and installed it.
Then I put in the top of the corner piece since a prebuilt box would not fit between the upper wall and the existing soffit.
The bottom of the box was not fitting as I had measured although the measurements seemed to be accurate. I decided to cut back the bottom piece and have it stop at the corner turn of the soffit.
Instead of continuing across the hallway to the opposite loft, which I considered in order to point a duct up the hallway to the rear bedrooms, I ended the soffit at the shelf as in the original design. I’m also going to install the vents in this upper area instead of near the floor to avoid having to put a column for the duct in the bedroom. The last section has to drop down to the shelf so that a vent can go between the upper roof and the lower roof section into the master bedroom. The duct will then continue to the end of the soffit and direct the fresh air into the living area.
I am not very knowledgeable about using metal studs so the end pieces are kind of cobbled together. The angle was tough and I had to make the end a bit larger than when I first assembled it. The soffit end seems sturdy as finished but it was hard for me to assemble it up on the shelf and some screws had to come out and be redone more than once. But I finally got the end pieces put together.
The framing is complete for the living area soffit. Next I can stretch the flexible ducting inside it. I ordered more ductwork for the ends of this soffit including a couple of round vent covers. I need to have the ductwork finished and inspected before the drywalling can be done.