Kitchen Drain Fix

One of the items on the spring/summer list was to fix the kitchen sink drain.
I stuck a bucket under the kitchen sink drain because it was dripping when the sink had water in it, and I thought the leak just stopped. I was wrong. Over time it got worse and worse. Finally I decided to take it off and try to retighten it. I bought a special tool to loosen the nut but it didn’t budge it. So we had to remove the whole kitchen sink.

Taking out the drain

Taking out the drain

After beatinmg on it and trying all kinds of twisting, it was obvious the nut was cross threaded. Even with the sink out I could not remove the nut. I had to cut off the drain tightening ring with a dremel tool to remove it. No wonder it leaked!

Sink removed

Sink removed

I bought a new basket assembly and paid a little more for a brass hardware connection for the chrome drain. The last one was stainless but this one only came in chrome and it matches the sink faucet.

Old sink drain

Old sink drain

New sink drain

New sink drain

Having the sink out allowed me to touch up some of the rubberized paint that had been knocked off and peeled so that the sink doesn’t have any blemishes under the counter now.
I also replaced the trap and related pipes with a black version that I had as on hand. The white was stained and the trap was gross so new stuff seemed much nicer.

New drain plumbing

New drain plumbing


This was the last project before we left for a three week trip to visit family in far-reaching parts of the country. Now that we are home, more progress must be made.

This entry was posted in -Chronological Recent Posts, Maintenance and Repair, Plumbing. Bookmark the permalink.