When I finished the pillar I realized the stone is another heat sink in the living area for the warmth of the sun. After the stone was all glued on, it took a few days to scrub the stone. I used the same Zep neutral cleaner I use on the concrete floor and wore out several pieces of 3M scrubbing pads. I cut the larger size into 1/8ths. My fingers also got a beating.
I used delorean gray grout caulk to fill in some of the larger cracks. I did not really like how it looked though. It almost seems unnecessary to fill in gaps.
I had some spray on sealer that was easy to apply. The color of the stone does not seem quite as bright as I had hoped but I’m ok with the muted colors. It looks so much better than the 2×4’s. This is a floating wall post surround so the tile does not rest on the floor. It is just glued to the pillar.
The pillar is a good width for running the wiring inside for the Internet and electrical.
The stone also fits nicely around the cabinet.
I’m happy to finally see some progress in the house. And having another heat sink is a great use of materials.