The Design Charrette changed the focus of the remodeling project. I went from dreaming of LEED glory to the hard facts of the limitations of a budget. We had committed $50,000 to the project. That is the whole project of bringing the house up to LEED requirements as well as paying for the support folks I had engaged.
The question was though, “How much is all this going to cost in TOTAL?”
I found that was almost impossible to say. Everyone can only estimate at the beginning of a project and those estimates can be wildly different!
A lack of funds has not impeded us in the past. We just forge ahead with what we have and try to make up the difference with “sweat equity”.
Fortunately James at HumaNature Architecture was able to roll with the changes. Although development of interior plans slowed way down while the deconstruction was going on, we kept in touch, knowing that when ready, a final house plan and construction drawings would be required.
After I sent an update about the deconstruction process, James wrote in early August, “I too am excited about the possibilities for the house, and the decision to not pursue LEED in no way diminishes the possibilities for making this house a super efficient, beautiful, sustainable home!”
In late September and early October we were discussing the relative benefits of the interior layouts and James started drawing up the floorplan changes.

Floor plan design in May–not really enough room for a full bath off the airlock entry.

Dibble Res_FP SD2_12-0507

Dibble Res_FP SD2_12-0507

My suggested changes to the May plan. Moving the bathroom to the existing plumbing wall and replacing it with closet space.

Dibble Res_FP SD2_12-0507Rev

Dibble Res_FP SD2_12-0507–revised.

Here is James’ drawing of the layout. The closet was limited by a post’s position that turned out to be a little further over. The kitchen seemed cramped with the utility room extended into it.

Dibble Res_FP_12-1107-1

Dibble Res_FP_12-1107-1

We are pretty happy with this latest plan. Space is gained in the kitchen by making the utility room smaller. Still room for a washer and dryer and the wall hung boiler/water heater. Also added a utility sink. Hope to also have room for a water tank for solar pre-heat for domestic hot water and the boiler.

Dibble Res_FP_12-1114

Dibble Res_FP2_12-1114

There is one more change that is not shown in this drawing. In the family room bathroom, we suggested a cabinet at the foot of the tub as there is really not enough room for a full closet. The tub is only half way accessible behind the vanity. So we’ll move it out a bit and center it on the wall.

This entry was posted in LEED Project, Planning, Project Team. Bookmark the permalink.